Christmas is a time of giving but surely there’s nothing wrong with indulging in a little wish list of our own? We’re very pleased to be sharing this fabulous guest post by Joanna from the Working Mammy Blog.
My name is Joanna and I’m 37, happily married and mammy to Jake, aged 2. I also work full-time in the advertising industry (which is not remotely as glamorous as people might think!) so life is pretty hectic. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve been blogging for a few months now and love thinking and writing creatively. It’s the only workout my brain gets these days.
As Christmas rapidly approaches, it’s fair to say that our family expenditure is going through the proverbial roof. Don’t get me wrong, we’re not being overly extravagant and may not even buy for each other this year. But with an increasingly excited 2 year old and a fashion conscious 12 year old to satisfy, we seem to be spending money like it’s going out of fashion. This is not good in the current financial climate.
So it got me thinking, if money (and any other forms of limitation) were no object, exactly what would I truly want for Christmas?Here is my selfish, hypothetical (and pretty unfeasible) wish list of the ten things I’d love to receive:
1. A holiday is top of the list – simple as that. Since our wedding in Mauritius (and honeymoon in the Maldives) a whopping FOUR years ago, the other half and I haven’t been any further than Centre Parcs. Although brilliant, it just isn’t the same as lounging by the pool in the sun without a care in the world. I blame a house purchase and arrival of a small child, both of which seemed to make cash evaporate into fresh air!
2. A day to myself would also be perfect. As a full-time working mammy, my life is a pretty constant whirlwind of work, playtime, “wife time”, nursery runs and (if I really must) housework. It would be a luxury to watch some TV without any interruptions, maybe go for a swim and then enjoy a peaceful cuppa or glass of wine. This is stuff money CAN’T buy!
3. A spa/health break is also on my wish list but these do not come cheap! I’d SO love to chill out with a facial or full body massage, as well as a pedicure to sort out my weary feet. Utter bliss (well one can dream).
4. A personal trainer or gym membership would be perfect – to motivate me to work out, attend Zumba classes, swim 50 lengths and generally beat me into submission.
5. Following on from point 4 it would make my day to have a swimming pool for Christmas too. Not likely I know, but I seriously would relish going for a plodge every morning in the comfort of my own home.
6. Plastic surgery – by this I mean a boob job (smaller and higher please!) and maybe something to get rid of the wrinkles around my eyes which seem to be getting deeper by the minute.
7. A trip to Lapland would be magical at Christmas especially for my 2 year old son, Jake. He is just SO excited about Santa coming, to the point that Michael Buble’s Christmas album has pretty much been on repeat since mid-November. NB this trip doesn’t fall into the category of the holiday in point 1 above as ideally that would be without kids!!
8. A teeth whitening procedure would also be on my Crimbo list. It’s been a bugbear of mine for some time but there’s always something more important to spend the money on.
9. An expensive handbag would be nice too, a real classic that will stand the test of time. These days £600 is more likely to go on nursery fees than a Mulberry handbag.
10. A really really long lie in. No explanation required!
Well, there’s no harm in dreaming…what are you putting on your Christmas wish list this year?